Gordon Elias & Seely, L.L.P.     800 - 773 - 6770
read disclaimer

I was involved in a truck accident out of state. The trucking company is in a different state. What state do I hire a lawyer in?

Question: I live inOhio. While I was on vacation in California, my car was in an accident with aninterstate moving company truck.  Thedriver has a Nevada license, the company he works for in New York but the truckis leased from a company in New Jersey?   How do I figure out where I need to hire an attorney?

Response:  This sort ofcomplex licensing and ownership situation occurs quite commonly in accidentlitigation involving trucks engaged in interstate commerce. Although theresolution of this issue is controlled by bar admission and civil procedurerules, categorically you could hire an experienced truck accident attorney fromany jurisdiction to represent you as long as s/he works in conjunction with anattorney licensed in the forum jurisdiction. For example, let’s say that your Ohio truck accident attorney hasresearched the applicable statutes and decided that it would be best for you toproceed under California law rather than the law of your domicile state.  The Ohio attorney can then work in conjunctionwith a licensed California attorney who can give you California-specific legaladvice and file a lawsuit on your behalf. Your Ohio attorney would need to apply for pro hac vice admission to theCalifornia court for the special purpose of your litigation.

Answered by Jamilla Moore

The content of this website is provided for informational purposes only, and does not constitute legal advice. If you need help with a Truck Accident claim, consult an experienced trucking accident attorney from the law offices of Gordon Elias & Seely, L.L.P. by calling TOLL FREE: 800 - 773 - 6770 OR by filling out the Free Case Evaluation Form on this page.
Gordon, Elias & Seely, L.L.P.
1811 Bering Drive, Suite 300     Houston, TX 77057     Toll Free: 1-800-773-6770     Fax: 713-668-1980